My little girl...

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Monday, November 1, 2010

SOMETIMES I'M THE MIRROR, SOMETIMES THE REFLECTION


Ok, I realize that I have a bad habit of making a very confusing situation even more confusing. It's befuddling, and somewhat annoying, like me. For example, if you are feeling all discombobulated, or even just upset and want to talk to me about something, and it's shocking or unexpected (at least to me) I will make your head spin by doing one or more of the following things;



a. asking many questions in rapid-fire fashion and not quite giving you enough time to answer

b. saying "what?!" repeatedly like I don't know or didn't hear what you said in the first place

c. trying to say something funny and off-subject to distract you

d. a combination of these, which is probably worse



Unfortunately, I do this all the time, it's how I give myself to process and think about the situation. It's only after I've acted like a complete dork(and maybe pissed you off), that I have a firm grasp on what we're really talking about and a real conversation can begin. It's messed up, and really I'm working on it,( it shouldn't be so hard to just listen and then deal, right?) so far, not so good. But I like to think that after all the initial hoopla, I'm a really good listener and understander-er (?!?, lol).
So please keep in mind that I'm not totally insensitive or uninterested or a total dumb ass when you tell me good/bad/sad/funny news I am, in fact, just slow to react (and honestly there are times I have no idea what I'm supposed to say or do!!!).
And it really helps me to greatly appreciate people who do know how to listen to others and respond in a thoughtful, caring, non-judgy way. Because that's so hard to do, and you guys are the best!!!





1 comment:

  1. I always know before I start a story...that you will look at me blankly, walk off and then come back ready to have an actual conversation about it. It doesn't annoy me, I expect it from you. I love ya just the same.

    www.shutterbugmama2010.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete