My little girl...

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Wednesday, June 30, 2010

THE JOY & PAIN OF CLASSIC ROCK

Did you ever go on a trip or vacation and nothing went as planned? You spend all this time researching, figuring out what to do, where to go, and how happy you'll be for every waking minute of your time, right? And then, through no fault of your own (or maybe it is your fault, but that's not really the point here :) things begin to unravel. Here is my story on the high- and low-lights of this past weekend's trip to a concert in another city... the first trip Joe and I have taken by ourselves, by the way.

Problem #1 - he was late!!!

ok, so the car rental place had some issue where they didn't open on time, and then they didn't have the car he had reserved, but I have a personal problem with lateness - it annoys the bejesus out of me!!! This leads to...

Problem #2 - we "don't have time" to go to an early dinner with my friends who live there!

Us getting started late + him wanting to be at the concert venue super early = him telling me we aren't going to get to meet up with my friends with whom I'd made said plans weeks earlier. I got really pouty and a little bitchy about this because I never get to see them, they live out of town!!!

Problem #3: we had to wait almost 2 hours outside before they let us in and it was HOT!

Don't ask me how we didn't have time for an early dinner, but had to get there that early, because I do not have an infinite understanding of the male mind. One thing I will say is that by this time I was not in the mood to stand out there while sweat and make-up drip off of me in front of 100's of strangers. I don't like to sweat in the best of circumstances -- I'm not Jillian Michaels or some other such exercise fanatic!

Problem #4: they only had very icky food!

Nachos?? Hot dogs?? There were better choices at the gas station/truck stop place we had to stop at because someone doesn't realize it's going to take more that $15 dollars gas to drive 200 miles. Needless to say, I didn't eat anything, even though I knew...

Problem #5: We have to drive back the same night

We were supposed to stay in a hotel and just relax after the concert, right? Well apparently he had to go in to work for a few hours the next morning and we drove back AFTER MIDNIGHT -- getting home at 4:30 in the morning was not cool!



At this point you're probably thinking "what a whiny, complainy bitch!" and you know what? You'd be right, I was cranky and insufferable, frustrated and sticky, and felt like very frown face until I looked back on the events and saw the following;





Good thing #1: the drive was actually pretty fun

We talked a lot (when I wasn't pouting and texting my friends). And the car he rented for the drive out there was really, really nice. For some reason on the way there I started just busting out singing along with the radio -- 80's songs, country, it didn't matter what if I knew the song, I was going to be singing it at the top of my lungs and enjoying myself in the process. He even joined in a few times which was truly silly. We did this on the way back too, it kept us awake :)

Good thing #2: he apologized for messing up my dinner plans

He apologized for not making time for dinner, saying it was his fault and that we would try again soon. That was pretty sweet, considering that part of the reason I was so upset about it was being embarrassed about cancelling after asking them in the first place.

Good thing #3: he let me sit by the fun people...

ok, we had 2 tickets, but they were not next to each other but 1 behind the other (weird!) and he gave me the seat that was next to some super fun older ladies that I got along with instantly. **SIDE STORY -- the one lady's husband called because their teenage daughter went out with a bunch of her friends to watch an eclipse and didn't tell him where they were watching it and acted like he 'should just know' but the lady was all like 'No, she's going to a movie called Eclipse, not watching one in the sky, moron' it was too funny, we laughed for 5 minutes on that.**

Unfortunately, his seat-mates were not so great. The guy was loud and clapped off-beat (a lot!) and the girl had to get up every 5 minutes to go do whatever.

Good thing #4: it was a really great show

the show was very, very good! If you ever have the burning desire to see thousands of middle-aged men play air-guitar and drums, then a sold-out classic rock show is where you need to go! You can practically feel the nostalgia and good 'ol days in the air. But it is fun, and everyone is having a good time, and the fact that this time around they're all old enough to buy alcohol doesn't hurt, I guess.

Good thing #5: the drive back was a goofy adventure...

This all happened between 1-5 am, so it had a fuzzy quality to begin with -- we stopped at a cool truck stop/store/food place and there were some weirdos that were parked next to us, but we didn't think anything of it, just went in and ate and looked around. Then when we came out, the weird people had friends that had joined them, and it was creeping us out because it really seemed like they were staring at us! I felt less nervous at the hauntingly quiet rest stop 50 miles down the road.

Anyway, once I adjusted my attitude and really looked at everything, I realize that we had a really good time, just not the time I had mapped out in my head.


**SIDE STORY -- I totally fell and busted my butt at the Sunday night show!! (there were 2, besides this story, though the 2nd was uneventful) Shoes flying in one direction, drink flying in another - sooooo embarrassing, I cried (silent tears, but still).**









No comments:

Post a Comment